Friday, September 5, 2008

Lesson #1: Follow the crowd


Deanna's Apartment building

Well, we both made it. I jumped on the blue line Wednesday at 1:30 and arrived in Paris at noon the next day. Except for a minor hold up at O'hare due to bad weather in Detriot, everything went off without a hitch. I can't imagine being taller then 5'3"on an overnight flight...my knees were cramping so bad I couldn't sleep.
Getting off the airplane, I learned lesson #1-- just follow the crowd right on down to customs. I had no idea where I was going or heading until I ended up in the line for customs. It was then my appreciation of French men began as I fell in love with my customs agent, two employees of the hotel and about everyother man I passed on the street. Harriet and I, after a ten minute battle trying to figure out how to get the rental car into reverse (you need to pull up!) parked the car in our hotel right outside Paris and checked in. It is a lovely hotel with gigantic beds in a nice neighborhood. We walked around the Siene the night we got here near the location where Seruate painted A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, saw the Arc de Triumphe at night and then ate dinner at a little resturant on the river. There are tons of river boats that have been converted into homes lined up along the shore. I have decided that I want to live in one.
Today we got up early and had breakfast at the hotel. There is only one thing in this world I need to make me happy on vacation and that is buffet. After breakfast, we caught the metro (again...can't find the exit, follow the crowd) to the Trocadero and saw the Effil Tower before taking a taxi (we got incredibly lost) to Deanna's old apartment. The cab driver informed us that we were going to elect McCain because "Americans are incredibly stupid". According to him, only 29% of us are smart.
We found Deanna's old building manager who connected us with Deanna's friend Madeline by phone who also lives in the building. I believe we will be staying with her when we head up to northern France later next week.

We returned to the Eiffel Tower after that, took pictures like good tourists should and then had lunch. We walked through a museum in the neighborhood and then walked down to the foot of the Eiffel Tower. Harriet and I took one look at the line to take the elevator to the top, looked at each other and then prompty decided to go back to the hotel and nap...well, I napped.
After I woke up, we went to dinner and I continued my mostly-cheese diet since I have arrived, had creme brulle, red wine and espresso. A successful and lovely first day.
We will be in Paris until Sunday (mom, you will be proud, I am going to church) and then heading West. If I could remember-- or pronounced the names of the place I would let you know. Thank god that Harriet is with me for my sense of direction, as well as my French, are practically non-existant. Forgive me, I am typing fast and the spell check is not working on this computer. If you requested postcards, they will be in the mail shortly. If you want them and am not sure if you requested them, shoot me an email with your snail mail address. I also can't get my pictures uploaded on this computer, so those will be on their way eventually as well. Miss you all.

No comments: