Monday, September 8, 2008

Chateau de Versailles

This is the queen's house in her Hamlet.



We had a lazy morning, waking up at Harriet's friend Judy and her husband Robert's house in Plaisir (I figured out how to spell it, sounds like Pleasure). After breakfast, Judy went to teach an English class in town and Robert took Harriet and I to the mall. Plaisir is jut like any old suburb, with the exception of it being a suburb of Paris-- which is makes it much better the Edina or Lake Forrest. It also has actual white shutters that are opened every morning and closed every night. The weather in France has been a little chillier then either Harriet and I packed for. Since we are heading to the beach in a couple of days, we thought it might be good to get a couple more layers. We ended up at a place similar to Old Navy where I got two sweaters to keep me warm.

After lunch, we drove with Judy to Versailles. We passed by the big chateau and ended up touring the land of Marie-Antoinette. As seen in Sophia Copola's movie "Marie-Antoinette", it is a fifteen minute walk from the big palace. She had a small house with many outhouses (much like my mother's cabin) such as a music house, a theater, a church, a love thing and the Queen's Hamlet--which was a little village she created near the palace to be with her children with a mill, lake, gardens and animals.

We are leaving Judy and Robert's tomorrow to a place called Chart (I have no idea how to spell it correctly) and will be meeting Madeline, Deanna's friend, on Friday.

Miss you Mommy and Seth-- since I know you both are reading this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking that we need a little house and town just like this for us...is it available? Sounds like you're having a ball. Let me know when you might be on line again so we can chat.