Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I went to Barcelona...and all I met were Australians.

I am leaving Barcelona for beautiful Madrid and my mommy. The first day in Barcelona I wondered around getting lost, sitting in the Gaudi park, eating gazpacho and sat at the beach. I found a bar called Travel Bar (highly recommended for its Spanish events if bored in Barcelona) is a weak attempt to make some friends and found a boy from Australia to entertain me the following day. The next day we took a walking tour through Barcelona's Gothic area and old Jewish ghetto. We saw the oldest temple in all of Europe, learned fun facts like the romantic history of the name paella comes from the term par ella or for her, the uglist building in Barcelona (which also happens to be the arcitecture school) and wear Pacasso first learned to paint. We walked through an outdoor market that sold fresh fruit, fish and meat. I got a little excited and accidently bought about a kilo of salami (forgot about the pound-kilo thing), found a Starbucks for good measure and then sat on the beach until dinner time.
Travel Bar had organized a Spanish cooking class (very cool, for 18 Euros they teach you how to cook, give you more sangria then any of us needed, tapas, paella, a history lesson and recipes). At a table of 13 people, I was the only American...the rest were Aussies. We poured on the brandy a little heavy, were a little light on the fanta and next found ourselves at a place called Shot Bar with 2 euro shots and lots of bizzare names such as the boyscout shot (it involved setting the bar on fire and toasting a marshmellow), the Monica Lewinsky (it involved a fake penis, getting accosted by the bartender, whip cream and yeah, you get the idea...), the Raquel (tasted like sugar water, delicious) and things of all colors of the rainbow that we gladly sampled.
I have pictures to upload but the place for the jump drive at my hostel is locked away. I have to go pack (by putting on about 17 layers to get my bag down to only 15 kilos) and make my long trek to the Madrid via metro, bus, plane, another bus and then another ride on another metro. But when all is said and done, I get to see my mommy tomorrow so how could life be bad?

No comments: