Sunday, October 12, 2008

The BIG update

As my father reminded me via e-mail, I have not been updating my blog. I have had a hard time in the last week trying to find internet cafes that allow me to upload pictures and I will admit, have also been slightly lazy so now I will provide for my family and friends the big recap of the last weeks.

SPAIN:
I left Barcelona Thursday afternoon for the trek to Madrid. After wondering around looking for a post office to send off postcards and my worn out Frye boots to Gigi, I hauled my suitcase to the train station to catch the bus to the airport. And let me just tell you about the bus company, they lie. After wondering around in a panic for a 45 minutes, I finally found a bus that was actually leaving (they are supposed to leave every 15 minutes I was told) and made it to the airport in the nick of time. While waiting in line to check my bag, I put on about ten layers of clothing to make sure my bag was under weight, devised a way to get my purse and my messenger bag on the plane, walked through security and we were boarding. I was a little hungover from the shot adventures with my new Australian friends but feeling good.
I was thrilled to arrive in Madrid-- not only because I survived the bumpy and slightly frightening landing but also because Antonio, one of our family friends that we stayed with, was waiting for me at the airport. We took the train back to his apartment in the city center of Madrid and in the true fashion of his lovely wife, she promptly fed a wonderful meal and sent to bed for a nap. I woke up an hour later and wondered around their neighborhood and then was fed dinner. Gustavo, Antonio and Isabel´s son, returned home later that night as I was getting ready to brush my teeth and hustled me out of the house for a couple of beers at a bar that looked like the inside of a church, a history lesson on the Spanish Legion (they are the "Boyfriend´s Death") and other stories and life lessons. We had such a great time, we closed down the bar.
The next day my mommy arrived and we continued to eat, eat, eat and eat. Marina, Gustavo´s 5 year old daughter, came for the weekend and I was immediately thrown into dress up and playtime. With my very limited Spanish and her even more limited English, the two of us had lots of fun together. At one point throughout the weekend, she did put me in a time out for stealing her cookies.
Our time in Spain was much more about visiting and hanging out with the family then seeing the sights. We took Marina to the park, ate more food that you could ever imagine, drank beer mixed with vino wine and walked around the town. I did drag my mother to a bull fight one afternoon. I thought it was thrilling yet at times...not so good at others. It was a great visit.
We took one side trip to a small town outside of Madrid in the pouring rain called Sagobia. There we saw a castle, a large cathedral, took a rain filled walk in the woods (it looked just like the creek in Minneapolis) and the aqueducts left over from the Romans. Despite being soaking wet, it was a lovely little town.

LISBON:
We took the tiniest plane ever from Madrid to Lisbon. I was convinced I was going to die, but alas, we survived. We met Annie and Steve at the airport and checked into our hotel. That night we ate dinner near the water at a restaurant that was over a hundred and thirty years old. Steve told the waiter that Annie, my mom and I were all his wives. The food was excellent-- as it has been throughout our trip, and a good kick off to the last leg of my vacation.
Jeanne arrived the next day from Germany in the afternoon. We walked around the town, saw the castle just on the outskirts of Lisbon and ate more food. After warning all of us to watch our purses, Steve almost got pick pocketed on the tram. Noticing his Blackberry was gone, he used some colorful language while patting down the assumed thief and it was found.
The next day we went to a little suburb of Lisbon and in the course of six hours saw a tower, 5 museums (the cathedral museum, the Da Vinci museum, modern art, the coach museum and the Marine museum), the inside of the cathedral and a huge statue. I don´t think anyone realized how tired they were until we sat down for a salad and a bottle of white wine. The view was amazing. That night we again ate a fabulous meal on the water, even though we had the waiter from hell. We refered to him as our "used car salesmen" waiter.
The next day we shopped and wondered around Lisbon. We tried to go to the Thieves Market in the morning but got stuck in the rain. After it stopped, we considered going to a town called Sitra but decided to instead eat, shop and drink our way through town. The only casualty of the day is when I lost my mom´s umbrella in Zara (may it rest in peace). She is actually very upset with me. We ate last night at a restaurant called Lisboa Noite, which was again, fabulous. I am continuing my mission of eating my way through Europe and my quest for the best Gazpacho. I have had some great ones.
This morning we actually made it to Sitra, a town that boasts not only a castle but a fort. We took a taxi up to the top of the mountain and ended up walking down. After lunch, we went to another castle that had a pirate exhibit.
I am not sure what is in the cards for tomorrow but I´m sure it will be something good. My mom and I will be leaving for the airport in Lisbon at 5am Tuesday morning (10pm on Monday for you folks) and heading home. I get into Chicago at 5pm on Tuesday. I have had a great time in Europe, but I think I am ready to come home.
Miss you all. Rach

No comments: