Sunday, September 30, 2007

Internet

We are in a time where we consistently have information. I sell back textbooks because I know I can find the same information from the Saint Martin's Handbook online, learn a quick fact on Wikipedia or get an explanation from webmd.com for how to help my cold. We are in an information age, with that comes certain responsibilities we must uphold in order to make it (somewhat) appropriate and user friendly.
I spent the weekend with a women from France who speaks English as her second language. While eating dinner last night, we were trying to teach her the many "ambiguous" terms for the word sensitive and sensible-- i.e. its a sensitive subject, she is a sensitive person, he is sensible, it was a sensible purchase etc. I was reminded of that when it was discussing in the article of how words are ambiguous, especially in the English language, and how that is necessary to know when browsing the web. I currently am doing a project now on the morning-after pill for my women's biology class. To do thorough research I had to search under morning-after pill, Plan B, Burr pharmaceuticals and emergency contraception to get the full range of information. While I searched for four different things all meaning the same thing, I was granted a wide variety of information all pertaining to the topic and my research.
www.google.com, www.ask.com (which I think sucks, even though it is essentially doing the same thing as Google).
I liked the part about different perspectives in relation to the Internet and computers as well. This summer, I interned for a friend of the family for his new website checkinsafe.com-- as safety based website that is currently in the beta process. It was funny sitting around with three or four different people all working on the project from different backgrounds and in different age groups for we all had absolutely different ideas of how the website should look, work and who is should be marketed to. Obviously, the owner of the project got the last say, but it was interesting because we all thought our ideas were perfect.
www.checkinsafe.net
As for organization, I am a fan of the logical. I never knew how complicated and confusing the Internet was until I had to make my own website for my www class. It was frustrating, annoying and what I thought a difficult and illogical process. Based on the way I think and work, I set my website (a mock rugby website) up in that fashion. I still don't know if that works for other people, I should probably find out. I think it was the broad and shallow approach (mainly because that is all I had to do to get an A).
http://students.depaul.edu/~rgilber3/Final%20Project/FInal.html

And on another note, "pitch" also means the field in rugby.

No comments: