Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bolter/Grusin

Like I said before, I still like getting mail. Even if it is just from my grandma in Florida who doesn't know how to use a computer. I don't like the idea of skull caps that can penetrate my brain or video conferencing with a hot new date when I am in my pajamas. It makes me wonder when technology really just is infrindging on our privacy...or has it already? I enjoy some of the aspects of course; I will not lie that I partake in facebook and myspace stalking (in the most innocence sense, of course) being able to look up addresses online and instant message but the level of distance and informality in a emotional sense kind of freaks me out. Just think of Disney movies that I was raised on with the shoty graphics and now Fiona (in human form) from Shrek looks so real its scary.
My aunt worked for Sprint when cell phones were the hot new market item and no longer came in shoebox size. She went to a conference at the headquarters and reported to me that one day we would be able to see people we were talking to as in video conferencing. I didn't believe her. Granted I was like ten but wow, was I wrong.
"[...] in a sense the whole World Wide Web is an exercise in replacement". I found that to be an interestingly basic statement, yet very profound. Just think of the things its replaced: phone books, letters, the phone lists we used to magnet to our fridge, dictionary's, newspapers, translators, shopping in a mall and having hundred dollar text books. That is absolutely right. What else will become replaceable? Telemarketers don't even have to dial now to be annoying. Classic works of art can be downloaded, pictures manipulated to get out the red eyes or add a person. Again, it freaks me out. But the opportunities because of these things are endless. Just read about the Howard campaign for president.
I think the idea those of an interactive and immediacy as a way to get more people involved (if emailing is so much easier then writing letters, why not teach grandma and make it easier to communicate) to be an important one. We are suddenly given the resource for all of us to get out our ideas whether good or bad and that means something.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

An additional comment: I was in Professor Farkas' class spring quarter. He asked the class "how many of you are wearing watches?" and two or three people raised their hands. He said that five years ago, everyone would have raised their hands. Why? Now we all have cell phones, why do we need watches, too?